You will always find turmeric in our house. We use if often as a natural healer for so many things. Below I have copied a list out of an article I read but first I will share some wonderful ways in which we have used it at home.
My son Daniel often suffers from tonsillitis induced by dairy allergies and this is a remedy we concocted for him that works almost overnight:
- boil water
- add a chopped chunk of fresh ginger about 1inch thick
- add a chopped chunk of fresh turmeric about 1inch thick(can use 1tsp powdered instead)
- 1/4 of an onion chopped
- some chopped lemon or lemongrass
- 1tsp honey
This is actually a beautiful drink that can be drunk anytime to help maintain good health.
We have also used it as a paste on sores or cuts and the healing is incredibly quick and without scarring.
It can also be used to instantly eliminate itching from bug bites but bare in mind it does stain and can leave you looking slightly diseased!
Here are 20 reasons to add turmeric to your diet:
1. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
2. When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
3. Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice.
4. May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide.
5. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
6. Is a natural liver detoxifier.
7. May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.
8. May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
9. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
10. Has shown promise in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice.
11. Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
12. May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.
13. Has long been used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression.
14. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
15. Boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
16. Promising studies are underway on the effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer.
17. Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma.
18. Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
19. Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.
20. May help in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.